The Lambeth GP Food Co-op is a co-operative of patients, doctors and local residents who have come together to build food growing gardens in GP surgeries. The Lambeth GP Food Co-op began in 2013 and over the past three years, we have successfully worked to:
- Create 11 food growing gardens in Lambeth GP surgeries.
- Partner with King’s College Hospital, building the Jennie Lee garden.
Help improve the health and wellbeing, diet and nutrition of hundreds of Lambeth patients.
- Implement a local sustainable food supply chain enabling patient grown fruit and vegetables to be sold at King’s College Hospital in partnership with Medirest/Compass.
- Raise awareness of malnutrition and poor diet in collaboration with the Lambeth and Southwark Malnutrition Project, Feeding Britain and other food -focused organisations.
- Influence current health thinking on gardening and its contribution to improving health and wellbeing – King’s Fund Report, Gardening and Health 2016.
- Recently awarded the Best Sustainable Food Initiative in the NHS by Public Health England and the NHS Sustainability Unit.
One of our lettuces grown by patients won third prize in last year’s Royal Horticultural Society’s London competition.
We are proud to have created the first community-led health co-operative working in and for the NHS. In the words of Dr Phil Hammond The Lambeth GP Food Co-op “shows the power of cooperation and collaboration, and the kindness and shared purpose that is at the heart of the NHS.”
There is more work to do and we are passionately committed to improving people’s lives through gardening and mutual support, but to continue our work we need your help. Not only to keep the show on the road but to undertake something much more sustainable and long lasting. We believe that we can build on our achievements so far and create a social co-operative that lasts.
With your investment, we will be in a strong position to respond to the many opportunities that are coming our way. We wish to reduce our dependency on external grants and be able to generate income in the future. By investing in the Lambeth GP Food Co-op, we are offering you a once in a lifetime opportunity to become a co-owner of a social business that is committed to doing good. Having a share in the Lambeth GP Food Co-op gives you an opportunity to help shape our future. We are confident that we can generate significant income in the future. We have applied to HMRC for Advance Assurance for Social Investment Tax Relief that would enable you to reclaim 30% of whatever you invest against your income tax.
Our future business opportunities include working with and supporting GPs in other boroughs to reduce social isolation and poor health outcomes by building more food growing gardens. We also wish to work with Children’s hospitals to build food growing gardens for children in long stay wards. This follows an initial invitation from Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children to submit a preliminary proposal.
We can only succeed in the future with your support. We invite you to join us on the next stage of our journey by investing in us. You can do this by visiting our Crowdfunder page at www.crowdfunder.co.uk/lambeth-gp-food-co-op. On this page, you will find more information about making a financial contribution. Alternatively, you can send your cheque to Lambeth GP Food Co-op, Canterbury House, 1 Royal Street, London SE1 7LL.
If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us by email or phone 0790 883 4203.
Lambeth GP Food Co-op, Canterbury House, 1 Royal Street, London, SE1 7LL www.lgpfc.co.uk