- 24% of UK workers are active for less than an hour per day-
- Tradespeople are active for 7 hours and burn 2,500 calories, on average-
TRADESPEOPLE are the healthiest workers in the UK, according to new research.
The survey of 2,014 UK adults by IronmongeryDirect revealed that those working in the trades such as, plumbing, construction, and electrical installation are the healthiest workers in the UK.
Due to the nature of their job, a tradesperson is active for up to 7 hours per day, burning up to 2,500 calories – more than any other type of worker.
Health and fitness professionals such as personal trainers are the second healthiest workers in the UK, and are physically mobile for 5 hours per day.
Unsurprisingly those working in offices are the most sedentary, with marketing, information and communications, and call centre workers all failing to be active for an hour per day, burning less than 300 calories through work related activity.
However, almost one in five (19%) UK workers ‘top up’ their activity levels with a weekly gym session.
More than half (51%) blame work pressures for their lack of activity, stating stress and busy schedules.
Office-based workers were also more likely to succumb to sugary treats, with 23% admitting to a daily indulgence, as sweets and biscuits are passed around.
Wayne Lysaght-Mason, managing director of IronmongeryDirect said: “Incorporating elements of a healthy lifestyle into your working day is essential. A balanced diet, regular breaks from your desk, tools or computer screen, fresh air, and moderate exercise are important.
“Those with active jobs should ensure they are getting the correct levels of calories to avoid running out of fuel during busy days, while those with lower activity levels should also be conscious of what they eat.”
For more information, please visit: www.IronmongeryDirect.co.uk
Top Five Healthiest Jobs
1. Trades (construction, plumbing) – 7 hours of activity per day
2. Health and fitness – 5 hours of activity per day
3. Agriculture – 4.5 hours of activity per day
4. Retail – 3.5 hours of activity per day
5. Manufacturing – 3 hours of activity per day
Top Five Unhealthiest Jobs
1. Information and communication – 0.4 hours of activity per day
2. Marketing – 0.6 hours of activity per day
3. Professional service (law accountancy) – 0.7 hours of activity per day
4. Utilities – 1 hour of activity per day
5. Government – 1.4 hours of activity per day